Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Mighty Mississippi

Over Labor Day weekend my dad came to visit!! Ava was so excited to see her Grandpa and show him all that MN has to offer!! The last time he came to visit Ava was only a month old, it was January and it was the coldest weekend of the year, we are talking REALLY cold, like 30 below cold. So we were all pretty excited that this time the weather was absolutely beautiful!! Probably the nicest weekend we had all summer, perfect timing Dad!!!

So one day while he was here we headed to Itasca State Park. For those of you who don't know, the Mississippi River starts in MN, in the Itasca State Park. I had never been there and figured it was a perfect time to go.

The park is so nice, I couldn't believe it took me 5 years to go there, I do plan on returning sooner than later. There was so much to do and so much to see, I had no idea how much there was in this park, so naturally we hadn't planned on spending nearly enough time there, not to mention Ronnie forgot to fill up the car with gas and while we are in the middle of the park the gas light turns on (there are no gas stations anywhere around), so we had to just concentrate on getting out of the park and finding a gas station!!

We did get to see what I had set out to see, the start of the Mississippi - Ava LOVED it!! The water came up to probably her thighs at its deepest and she had a ball playing around in it. It was a great way to spend one of the last days of summer!!



You can't really tell what this says here,
but it just says something about how the Mississippi starts is
almost 3000 mile journey to the Gulf of Mexico!
Dad, Ava and Ronnie
Dad, me and Ava

family pic

Ava's first steps in the water, it was a little cold,
so I was surprised she liked it so much

Ronnie and Ava, look how green everything is,
it was so pretty-I want to go back this fall







3 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Believe it or not I've lived in Minnesota my WHOLE life and don't ever recall seeing the beginning of the Mississippi! I really need to get out more! Have a fun trip - drive safe! :)

April Klatt said...

How fun! I love the pictures! When we finally make it up there again, you need to take us! Did they have canopy bikes? :)

Anonymous said...

Glad Ava's Grandpa had a good visit - in good weather. What a beautiful park, is it near your house? Love Ava's top-knot piggy tail!
XXOO,
Lynn