Saturday, June 11, 2011

39 things every mom should know...

I ripped this out of a magazine a couple years ago and just came across it. I am not going to share all 39 things, but I thought I would share some of my favorites since most people that read this blog have kids or at least know someone who has kids

1-Don't make birthday parties a huge deal

2-Do your chores while kids are awake. Using naptime to wash dishes or clean the bathroom is truly soul-crushing

3-Put Band-Aids on everything your kids want you to. Why not?

4-If the kids are awake, bite the bullet and be awake yourself. You'll waste so many hours trying to extend early-morning snoozes that it's not worth it.

5-Just throw away the poopy underwear

6-Don't beat yourself up if you have to use a bribe

7-Embrace their quirks

8-Know this: That stain won't come out. And it's okay. (The sooner you accept this, the better.) I love this one :)

9-At some point it will be February. Things will seem bleak. You will think about vitamins, glasses, more exercise, more sleep, more chores, less TV, more rules, fewer rules and organic food. Just wait. Things will get better when the snow melts. Know that it will happen again at the end of summer, right before school starts. It's the circle of life

10-Answer this question: Whats the worst thing that can happen if your kids sleep in their clothes

11-Try to like what they like

12-Teach them to pump on the swings ASAP

13-Buy kids deodorant before they need it

14-Teach your kids to make their own breakfast and allow enough time so that can do it without pressure

15-Don't administer a punishment that hurts you more than it does them

16-Always pack wipes

17-Dress your little girls like, well, little girls

18-Make sure your kids know how they like their eggs and burgers cooked. You don't want them to feel stress when ordering at the diner

19-It's fine to brag about yourself to your kids

20-Just say "No" to any toy or doll that comes with packets that have to be mixed with water

21-Don't buy the most expensive school-picture package

22-Give awards for actual achievements

23-You're never too old to dress up or decorate your house for Halloween

24-Independence is a wonderful thing. For everyone. So is together time. Make sure you have a healthy dose of both

I know some of these don't pertain to my kids yet, but I hope when they do I will remember some of my favs!!

No comments: